Ordinances and Staff Recommendations
Staff Recommendations and Staff Reports
Staff recommendations are presented to the public and govenment boards through documents called "Staff Reports." Below are the most recent staff reports available. Older drafts and archived documents can be viewed at the bottom of this page.
Updated: April 2, 2021
BCC Adopted Ordinances, March 23, 2021:
- Adopted Ordinance - Chapter 110 - Development Code
- Adopted Ordinance - Chaper 50 - Public Peace, Safety and Morals Code
- Adopted Ordinance - Chapter 125 - Administrative Enforcement Code
- Resolution R21-001 - Master Fee Schedule Chapter 110 and Chapter 125
- Master Fee Schedule - Chapter 110 - Development Code
- Master Fee Schedule - Chapter 125 - Administrative Enforcement Code
Most recent Staff Report below:
Most recent Staff Report for STR Fees and Fines below:
- Staff Report-STR Fees and Fines - Chapter 110 and 125 - Master Fee Schedule and Master Administrative Enforcement Penalty and Fee Schedule
- Staff Report-STR Fees and Fines Attachment A-1_Chapter 110 - Master Fee Schedule - Development Code
- Staff Report-STR Fees and Fines Attachment A-2_Chapter 125 - Administratvie Enforcement Penalty and Fee Schedule - Administrative Enforcement Code
Highlights of Staff Recommendations (current proposals only; not adopted):
- Short-term rental permit required for all STRs operating in unincorporated Washoe County.
- Every STR must have a designated 24/7 responsible party who can respond to issues within specific timeframes.
- Limit of one STR per parcel (with the exception that a legally permitted accessory dwelling on-site could also potentially be used as an STR).
- Annual renewal of STR permit required.
- Applicable room taxes must be paid.
- Issuance of County STR permit does not relieve the property owner of complying with other applicable codes, regulations, statutes or other restrictions, including private CC&Rs that restrict such a use (property owner still responsible for compliance with recorded CC&Rs).
- Three permitting tiers are proposed based on maximum occupancy. Additional restrictions and/or permitting requirements will apply at higher tiers.
- Designated parking spaces to be provided on the property in a sufficient number to cover the STR's maximum occupancy.
- Occupancy limits to be based on internationally recognized safety codes/standards, and may be further limited by availability of on-site parking and/or self-limitations imposed by the property owner.
- Minimum fire, safety and defensible space standards will be applicable.
- Prior to issuance of STR permit, inspection(s) will need to be passed. Cost of inspections will be paid for by applicant.
- Cost-neutral fee structure designed to ensure implementation and enforcement of STRs is paid for by STR owners.
- Wildlife-resistant trash carts or bear sheds needed in bear-prone areas.
- Quiet hours are proposed for 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Decibel-monitoring devices required for STRs with two confirmed noise violations.
- Appropriate liability insurance specific to STRs will need to be obtained.
- Three-pronged approach to enforcement includes: (1) actively pursuing licensing compliance; (2) annual inspections; and (3) 24/7 complaint hotline with confirmed violations resulting in fines and potential penalties such as revocation.
- Fines/penalties to be structured to be significant enough to deter violations, with fine amounts being based on a scaled system that increases with number of violations.
- Three confirmed violations in 12-month period to result in revocation and 12-month cooling off period.
It is important to note this is not an exhaustive list and represents recommendations from staff to the Board for their consideration.
Archived and Older Draft Documnets
(Order from newest to oldest)
- View STR Presentation here to Incline Village / Crystal Bay CAB on Feb 23, 2021
- View the 1st Reading DRAFT STR Ordinance, heard by the BCC on Feb. 23, 2021.
- View the 1st Reading Staff Report, heard by the BCC on Feb. 23, 2021 (this version contains public comment received after publication of the original report).
- View the 1st Reading STR Presentation here, (Feb. 23, 2021 STR Presentation to the BCC, WDCA19-0008, Introduction and First Reading)
- View Staff report to the Board of County Commissioners for Mar. 23, 2021 meeting
- View staff report to the Board of County Commissioners for Feb. 23, 2021 meeting
- View staff report to the Board of County Commissioners for Aug. 25, 2020 meeting
- View staff report to the Board of County Commissioners for Feb. 25, 2020 meeting
- View staff report to Planning Commission for Jan. 7, 2020 hearing (includes proposed changes to Chapter 110, Development Code only)
- View staff report to Board of County Commissioners for Nov. 12, 2019 meeting