Short Term Rentals
Washoe County STR
Announcements & Updates
STR Enforcement and the August 1st DeadlineWe have heard your concerns related to the upcoming, August 1st, 2021, STR enforcement deadline.
Initially, the county code enforcement team will focus on pursuing those STRs that do not have an active application/STR Permit submitted in our system. Applicants are expected to be proactive and demonstrate due diligence in providing outstanding items for their STR Permits.
Once all advertised and active STR properties are permitted, code enforcement staff will begin focusing on properties with documented chronic nuisance issues. All STR advertising (AirBNB, VRBO, etc.) and rental activity must cease after August 1, 2021 if you have not submitted for or obtained a Washoe County STR permit.
Please note that Washoe County Code Enforcement staff has a regular work schedule of Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is not available on weekends to respond to complaints. Click on the “File a Complaint” tab on the left to learn more about filing complaints.
- Navigate OneNV.us by following the Step-by-Step Instructions for Online Submittal which will help walk you through the online submittal process. These instructions will be availble on the "STR Permits" tab to the left.
- An STR Inspection Check List is now available for STR applicants on the "STR Permits" tab to the left. Learn what you can expect during the on-site inspection of an STR.
- STR FAQs - General questions regarding the STR application, permitting, and enforcement process is currently available.
Most Recent STR Updates:
- The Board of County Commissioners heard the first reading of the ordinance on 02/23/2021.
- The Board of County Commissioners heard the second a reading and adopted the STR Ordiance at the 3/23/2021 meeting.
- Permitting Platform scheduled to open on 05/01/2021
- Permitting Guidlines and Tutorials will become available on this website before 05/01/2021
- An STR "How To Apply" Virtual Workshop will be held on 04/28/2021 at 2pm via Zoom, click HERE for more information on how to attend.
- STR Permit Application, click HERE to view and download the PDF
Board of County Commissioners March 23, 2021 Adopted STR Ordinances:
- Adopted Ordinance - Chapter 110 - Development Code
- Adopted Ordinance - Chapter 50 - Public Peace, Safety and Morals Code
- Adopted Ordinance - Chapter 125 - Administrative Enforcement Code
- Resolution R21-001 - Master Fee Schedule Chapter 110 and Chapter 125
- Master Fee Schedule - Chapter 110 - Development Code
- Master Fee Schedule - Chapter 125 - Administrative Enforcement Code
On March 23, 2021, a second reading and adoption of the draft ordinances was heard and voted on by the Board of County Commissioners. Staff is currently working to create a permitting platform and comprehensive guidelines for the public to submit an STR permit application online for launch on May 1, 2021. Information will be updated on this website as it becomes available. Please be patient with us as we prepare all necessary documents and tutorials in order to meet the May 1st deadline. There will be a three-month grace period, from May 1, 2021 to July 31, 2021, in anticipation of a high-volume of properties wishing to obtain permits at the same time. The grace period is intended to allow time for STR owners to submit and obtain an STR permit. Full enforcement of the ordinances will start August 1, 2021.
Thank you for your patience while staff worked diligently to meet the May 1, 2021 deadline. Due to the high volume of inquiries, all questions regarding permitting will be referred to this website. Please check back frequently for updates. There will be a three-month grace period to submit an STR application and obtain an STR Permit starting May 1, 2021. Full enforcement of the ordinances will start August 1, 2021.
Call us: 775-328-6100
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org