Domestic Well Program
The Land Development Program (LDP) oversees the construction, deepening and abandonment of domestic drinking water wells. We do NOT permit agricultural wells or irrigation wells; those are overseen by the Nevada Division of Water Resources. We also do NOT oversee or regulate water quality in Washoe County. Water quality resources and information about how to apply for a domestic well permit are listed below.
Water Well Quality Resources
- EPA: Private well FAQ's
- EPA: Private well information
- Water Utility & Septic Funding Resources (WC Community Services Department)
- Well Owner Resource (National Groundwater Association)
Nitrate Specific Resources
- CDC - Disease & contaminants in private wells
- EPA - Basic information about nitrates in drinking water
- Nitrates and nitrates in drinking waters and surface waters
- Regulations of the Washoe County District Board of Health Governing Well Construction
- Domestic Well Permit Application - A well construction permit must be obtained from the Washoe County Health District to construct, drill, recondition or plug a well. The permit applications are available and are processed at the Washoe County Health District office. Click here for requirements
- Domestic Well Construction Fees
- Well Plan Submittal Requirements - coming soon!
- Washoe County Community Services Department
- Inspections must be scheduled at least 24 hours prior to the desired time of inspection. Inspections are on a first come first serve basis. Please call the EHS front desk to schedule 775-328-2434.
Contact the Program
David Kelly, Senior Environmental Health Specialist
Last modified on 09/03/2020