We Order Well - W.O.W!
Wellness: the newest item on the kids' menu!
What is W.O.W?
Washoe County Health District and local restaurants are teaming up to bring We Order Well, or W.O.W!, to our community. This wellness initiative helps local restaurants provide more healthy options to families and kids when dining out. W.O.W! restaurants offers kid menu choices parents can be happy about, including fruits and vegetables, healthier drink options as well as fewer fried foods. Fuel your kids up with more nutritious options and visit a W.O.W! restaurant today!
W.O.W! for Restaurant Operators
Participation is easy and focuses on three forms of dining wellness for youngsters.
- Include healthy beverage options on kids’ menus, and eliminate sugar –sweetened beverages, like soda. Examples of healthy beverages include plain milk, a plain unsweetened non-dairy milk alternative (e.g., coconut, almond, etc.), 100% juice, or water. Kids’ meals may not offer soda included in the price of a kids’ meal.
- Offer fruits and vegetables as part of all kids’ meals. Every kids’ meal must include at least one serving of non-fried fruits and/or vegetables. A serving is defined as a minimum of 1/3 cup.
- Limit deep fried foods. At least ½ of all kids’ meals do not contain any deep fried items. (Deep frying is defined as cooking food by submerging in hot oil.)
By adopting these menu standards, local restaurants can help improve the culture of health in Washoe County. If you are interested in participating please complete the application form below
What’s in it for my business?
- Growing Public Demand: Healthier kids menus have been listed as one of the Top Five Menu Trends for four years in a row, and increasing concerns about the effect of portion size on personal health are causing more customers to reconsider what they’re eating at restaurants. You can stay ahead of these trends and provide customers with what they’re asking for through W.O.W!
- Publicity: As part of your collaboration, Washoe County Health District will give you guidance and materials to advertise these healthier options to your customers, including storefront and tabletop signage, style guides for including the W.O.W! logo on your menu, and mentions of your business in our marketing channels!
- Community Recognition: Participating in W.O.W! sends a clear message to your customers that you’re a business that cares about your local community and its health. You’ll attract customers looking for healthier dining choices for their kids and put your brand front and center in the community’s mind.
W.O.W! for Foodies
Support local restaurants participating in W.O.W! If you’re looking for more nutritious options for youngsters, W.O.W! restaurants are for you! Participants of W.O.W! offer healthier options for kids such as fewer fried foods, more fruit and vegetable options, and healthier beverage options on their kid’s menus (at select locations).
Ask these restaurants about their kids menu and feel confident when dining with your family!
This initiative is intended to promote healthy eating options and is not associated with food safety inspections and compliance activities conducted by the Washoe County Health District.
 National Restaurant Association’s annual “What’s Hot Culinary Forecast”, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7077456-nra-whats-hot-culinary-forecast-2017/
Last modified on 10/08/2019